We’ve moved! As of April 1, 2022 our new address is 770 Sheridan Lake Road, Rapid City, South Dakota 57702
Protecting Your Loved OnesPreserving Your Assets
South Dakota Guardianship Attorneys
Proactively Managing Futures for 30 years
If you are the parent of a minor, it is important to consider who you would want to take them following your passing. While this can be an emotional challenge, failing to do so means that a judge will be the one making a final decision about who will be in charge of your child without any input from you. Any person can request to be the guardian in court, regardless of your relationship with them. Call Aspen Legacy Planning today to clarify your wishes concerning guardianship.
Choosing a Guardian
The guardian of your child will be taking over your role as a parent, so it is important that you trust them. Our team at Aspen Legacy Planning can help you identify the traits you want in a good guardian for your child following your passing.
When choosing a guardian, you should consider:
- Whether you prefer to choose a relative or a trusted friend
- Parenting styles such as how your child should be disciplined
- Religious and spiritual values
- The geography of where that person lives in relation to your other loved ones, as it can be stressful to move far away and adapt to a new school and new environment
- Your child's comfort level with that person
- The emotional availability of that individual
- The family dynamics of the guardian, as multiple children can be a burden
- The age and health of the guardian
- The willingness of the guardian to make hard but necessary decisions
Another important consideration that you must face is the reality of finances. The loving guardian you envision as the caretaker of your child may not be financially able to provide the kind of lifestyle you want for your child. In this circumstance, a lawyer can help you make financial arrangements that provide for your child after you pass away.
Schedule Your No-Obligation Consultation Today
With the help of our experienced South Dakota estate planning lawyers, you can feel confident in the decisions you make concerning how your child will be raised and how their lifestyle will be financed. Call our firm today and get started on planning for your child’s future.
Dial (605) 610-4016 now to see which type of guardianship agreement is the right option for you and your loved ones.
As your attorneys and counselors, we put your interests first - treating you with respect, honesty and dignity.
30 Years of Legal Experience
We offer no-obligation in-person, telephone and video-conference consultations for your convenience.